Trupanion’s Plans and Coverage
Trupanion offers one comprehensive accident-and-illness policy that covers diagnostic testing, prescription medication, surgery, hospitalization, veterinary supplements and prosthetics if your pet becomes ill or injured.
Trupanion covers the following conditions:
- Injuries (broken bones, dental trauma, lacerations)
- Illnesses (cancer, infections, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing)
- Hereditary conditions (hip dysplasia, thyroid disease, respiratory defects, diabetes)
- Congenital conditions (heart defects, liver disease, nervous system issues, cataracts)
- Chronic conditions (allergies, seizures, arthritis)
- View a full list of additional conditions
While Trupanion does not offer a wellness plan, you can add the following three packages to your policy for an extra monthly cost:
Recovery and Complementary Care Rider: Extend your plan to cover the following alternative treatments:
- Behavior modification
- Chiropractic care
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative therapy
Pet Owner Assistance: For circumstances outside your vet’s office, this add-on covers the following:
- Liability coverage for third-party property damage
- Advertising and rewards for lost pets
- Boarding fees if pet owners are hospitalized
- Cremation or burial for accidental pet deaths
- Vacation cancellation costs from an accident or illness
Breeding Rider: Often excluded by other providers, this unique rider covers the following costs:
- Injuries and illnesses related to breeding
- Whelping (dog birthing)
- Queening (cat birthing)
Like its competitors, Trupanion does not cover preexisting conditions, or conditions of which symptoms were present before your pet’s coverage began. These also include diseases or injuries that occur during the waiting period — the period of time after enrolling in a policy before coverage takes effect — which is 30 days for illnesses and five days for accidents.
Trupanion’s policy also excludes exam fees, elective or cosmetic procedures, preventive care (such as vaccinations, wellness exams, flea and tick prevention, and spay or neuter procedures), processing fees for medical history, anal gland expression and training injuries.
Trupanion’s coverage has no payout limits, meaning there is no cap on how much the company will pay out for covered veterinary costs. Trupanion also provides a 90% reimbursement rate for vet bills, which means it will reimburse you for 90% of the total cost of your pet’s treatment for covered injuries or illnesses.
Trupanion offers a customizable deductible, allowing customers to choose the amount they want to pay before their policy begins covering costs. Unlike other companies, Trupanion has a per-condition deductible as opposed to an annual deductible, meaning you will have to pay a deductible any time your pet develops a new condition.
- Deductibles: Select a per-condition deductible between $0 and $1,000 (in five-dollar increments)
- Annual limits: Unlimited
- Reimbursement rate: 90%
One of Trupanion’s unique features is its ability to pay your veterinarian directly at the time of checkout. If your claim is eligible and approved, you will only need to pay your percentage of the bill when you check out. If your veterinarian does not offer vet direct pay, you can submit your claim online to be reimbursed in as few as two days.